Sunday, December 9, 2012

Design OFF the web - Part 1

So I was recently browsing the Hofstra Library and found basically the best section ever.

Two full rows of Graphic Design books.


Who knew graphic design could be researched in physical books... unreal.

So I am going to dedicate my discoveries to a 4 part post (one on each book I checked out).

The first book I will discuss may be the most exciting. Graphic Design Since 1950. I'm pretty sure I didn't even realize it went back that far.  This 800 page encyclopedia of six decades of design is amazing.  Published by the Alliance Graphique International, they took their time and found some inspiring work that has influenced many work seen today.

Graphic Design Since 1950 by AGI

The book goes decade by decade, showing work designed in the era and explains the status and development of the industry at the time.  What is really cool is that it does not just focus on America, but of what went on around the Globe.

AGI has filled the book with work from everything from the Olympics to toothpaste ads, organized by designer.

Each decade has dozens of designers with biographies and selections of their work.  It is a great display of different designs from person to person, year to year and country to country.  I feel it is important to be aware of designers that have existed in the past and associate their name with their work.  They are in fact artists after all.

I highly recommend this book to improve your style and to be inspired by creative work desgined before you were born.









No comments:

Post a Comment