Wednesday, December 19, 2012

The evolution of GPS

So apparently people are still getting lost, regardless of GPS now being available on any internet device.  I know I turn on my GPS in my car when driving to a new place, even if I know I could probably find my way without it. I also use it often while walking in NYC to navigate with ease.

GPS is now being taken a step further by MIT Media Lab Research Assistant Jaewoo Chung.  Jaewoo has developed a GPS navigation system on cell phones called Guiding Light.  It is to be used primarily for walking indoors and navigating through buildings such as offices. The technology combines GPS similar to that of car navigation, video games and a flashlight.


Guiding Light projects an arrow using a light on your phone as you are walking.  The arrow changes based upon which direction you need to walk to reach your destination.

The prototype uses four sensors attached to the body that recognize what position you are standing and even what floor of a building you are on.

Once you reach your destination, if you cast the arrow onto the door of an office Guiding Light will display a pre-programmed picture of who's office it is, their name and any other information you wish to save about that person.

The future development of this technology can expand to extreme lengths.  It could be used not only to find an office, but to find an actual person based on the location of their cellular phone.  It could also be used outdoors while hiking or (as I would love), in a city.

No comments:

Post a Comment