Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Dreaming up a New App

iPhone apps have been used for organization, gaming, capturing pictures, reading and in countless other ways.  It wasn't until I discovered the Dream:on app that I saw one used as an experiment.

The Dream:on app was developed by Professor Richard Wiseman and is very unique.  His goal is to discover if sound, while played during somebodies REM cycle of sleep can influence your dreams.  In a sense he wants to attempt to make it so that people dream their perfect dream every night.


The way it works is, you set an alarm, an alarm sound, and a "SoundScape".  The key to the experiment is the SoundScape, which is a compilation of certain noises whether it be the city or the countryside.  The user then places the phone on their bed and it registers their movement.  When the person is completely still, it is believed that means the person is in their REM cycle of sleep.  At this time, the phone plays the SoundScape for a period of time, and will then wake you and ask what your dream was.  If it in any way relates to the SoundScape over time, it may be proof that sound CAN influence your dreams.

I find it fascinating that Wiseman is using the iPhone app's to compose an experiment.  It relies on user honesty but I feel this market can be beneficial for numerous other experiments, reaching people that scientists would have a much more difficult time contacting.

I have used the Dream:on app for 4 nights now and have not dreamed of my "city SoundScape", however I am hopeful that it may work down the line.  And regardless, I now have documentation of the weird dreams I have every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment