Wednesday, December 19, 2012

It Doesn't Need to Burn, to Keep you Warm

Yes, wood burns and can keep you warm.  Now let's forget that and use the wood as a blanket.

Sounds idiotic, I know.  Elisa Strozyk thought otherwise and created a blanket out of wood, yes wood, as in a tree.




In the article A Blanket Made of Wood That Actually Works, Kelsey Campbell-Dollaghan explains how humans are fascinated with faceted geometry.  I myself had to Google this to understand what she meant, but trust me it's true. If you'd like to know for yourself, trust Wiki.

The blanket Strozyk developed uses triangular pieces of smooth wood (no slivers would be nice) on a light piece of fabric.  The shape of the wood pieces allows it to bend and move just as a cloth blanket "wood" (ha, get it?).  It is an innovative design that throughly impressed me.  I would buy one in an instant.

I think it is interesting to see somebody reinvent something so simple as a blanket.  I also find it amazing that she seemed to defy the impossible, by making wood, which you assume as hard and immobile into something that can bend, flex and wrap around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment